Skip to main content

Literary Analysis Week 6

     Josiah Royce wrote about the early settlements of California and the atmosphere within the built up cities. He speaks of the structure of businesses and working men within these cities. What drives them, their vices, their motivations and their downfalls. We get a glimpse into the lives of early California settlers and the San Francisco area before it became the area we know and love today.
     John Muir writes more about the landscapes and the beauty of untouched nature. Lands that have been previously undiscovered like Yosemite Valley. His many journeys throughout the country undoubtedly left their mark, but the Sierras also left their mark on him. He says the Sierras should be known as the “mountains of light.” He says that every rock in Yosemite seemed to glow. His connection to nature clearly drove him to continue exploring so that he may appreciate more of the lands untouched by men.
     George Sterling also seemed connected with nature and was especially drawn to the ocean and its power. He later lived a bohemian lifestyle and continued writing pieces that spoke about the appreciation he had for California.

Comments

  1. Hi Rihannon,
    Ive always found John Muir interesting because he described and discovered much of the region we live in today. Joisah Royce and George Sterling were unfamiliar to me until I read your analysis, which informed me more about them and why they are relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there Rihannon.
    This was a very interesting read, and you did a great job writing it! I appreciate how you did not describe the entire story in full detail, it was concise, and straight to the point. I like the juxtaposition of George Sterling, and nature. I feel as thought this was a smart connection to make, and really tied it together. keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Rhiannon,

    I wasn't able to fully comprehend the readings for Week 6. I enjoy reading your analysis. I would have never thought about how these celebrated writers are deeply connected with California's beautiful nature. I only ever knew John Muir because there's a John Muir hospital to where I live. So having read your analysis made me understand why the hospital was named after him.

    Thank you for sharing! Keep up the good work!

    Cheers,
    Regina
    (W7 Comment)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhiannon! I like how you look at the three authors and describe their styles of writings. I visited John Muir’s home in Martinez for my daughter’s project one year and the landscapes around his property are beautiful, you can tell it was important to him. He also had a variety of landscapes on the one property. At the top if his home you have an excellent of the different landscapes around the home.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growth Mindset Theory Week

Challenge 3: The student quote I chose was: POWER THROUGH Putting your head down and powering through to the end is the best way to accomplish your task. This could apply to work, sports and so on. Always make sure you put your head down and power through whatever obstacle is in your way for you to achieve what you had set out to do: break that wall down! This has been especially relevant to me as of late. I have allowed obstacles to stand in my way for one reason or another. I am trying hard to remind myself to stay focused on the reasons why I am doing what I'm doing in order to keep myself motivated to finish.

Literary Analysis Week 5

Joaquin Miller      In his writing, Joaquin speaks about the ocean and atmosphere around him in California including the Sierras and the snow beyond.  He seems to be taken aback by the majesty of the area.  He speaks of the ocean and the mines and the opportunities that lie within for the miners and opportunities for trade across the sea.  The opportunities that await all those that venture there.  The way he describes the ocean it's as if he is using it as a metaphor for the endless opportunities he sees in California during this time period.  Being somewhat of a blank slate, so to speak, the opportunity to build a life would be up to those brave enough to make the journey.  The lives they choose to create out of this environment would be completely up to them and how they wish their lives to be.  This no doubt had some influence in his decision to return to California and make his home in the Oakland Hills after traveling abroad and establishing himself as a writer.